Do you have items you no longer use and are looking for the best websites to sell stuff locally? If you are, you’re not alone.
Fortunately, there are countless online marketplace platforms through which you can buy and sell pretty much anything.
Whether it’s furniture, jewelry, clothing, electronics, or even household appliances, these marketplaces are the way to go.
In this ultimate guide, we will summarize the 10 best websites to sell stuff locally. We will also breakdown the selling process and ways to go about it safely.
Why You Should Sell Stuff You no Longer Use on Marketplace Websites
Before we summarize the best websites to sell stuff you no longer use, I want to begin by talking about why it’s so beneficial to use these platforms to sell your stuff locally.
- It’s easier: Simply put, selling your unwanted stuff using an online marketplace is far easier than standing around all day in the sun at garage sales hoping you sell some of your stuff.
- Decluttering: By selling stuff you no longer use, you will free up a lot of space around your house and your garage. According to NBC News, one in four Americans has a clutter problem. The article also states that “the average home contains 300,000 items.”
- Earn some extra money: The author of the article by NBC news goes on to say that “The other toll is financial. All that stuff that’s eating up space and energy could actually be translated into more money in your pockets.” Simply put, you may be surprised by how much money you can make by selling stuff you no longer use.
Best Platforms to Sell Stuff Locally
1. Facebook Marketplace
With such a large user base, Facebook is no longer just a social media platform to connect with family and friends.
In 2016, Facebook jumped on the online garage sale bandwagon with it’s very own marketplace where users can buy and sell items.
You can search for items by name, keyword, category, and price. You can also opt to be notified if an item becomes available.
To list your items, all you need to do is select your location, and then add a photo, description, and price.
Once you have created your listing, you will be notified of what similar items are selling for. This is a great feature because it will help you figure out the right price for your items.
Facebook Marketplace is free to use and there are no fees. However, there are several guidelines, so make sure you follow them.
Have you ever seen an ad for LetGo on TV? LetGo is another popular marketplace platform for selling stuff locally.
Using their platform, you can post, chat, and make sells quickly. One unique feature of their app is that it reduces the time you spend listing your items by using artificial intelligence and image recognition.
To list an item on LetGo, you must first sign up with the platform, which you can do through your Facebook account. Next, simply click the “sell your stuff button” and create a listing for your item.
You can list your items in specific categories ranging from gym equipment and furniture to jewelry and clothing.
You can also set a specific location range to sell your item. On the other hand, buyers can search within a specific range to find relevant items that are closet to them.
The app is free to use and is available to both iPhone and Android users.
Although Craigslist was started in 1995, it still remains one of the best websites to sell stuff locally. While it still looks and feels like the internet in its earlier days with a very basic design, Craigslist is one of the cheapest options out there.
There are no listing or selling fees, meaning you will keep 100% of the profit whenever you sell something using Craigslist.
To list your items online, you can use the Craigslist website or the CPlus app on your phone.
The app is very similar to the actual website. However, the app makes it easier to sell on Craigslist with notifications going straight to your device.
As a seller, the app also allows you to create new listings to sell items within the app, save your postings to a favorites list, edit, renew, or repost your ads, and even add notes to your postings.
Sadly, Craigslist has gained a reputation for scams, so make sure you’re always being safe. Unlike other options on our list, Craigslist has no policy in place that will refund you if you’re scammed.
Being similar to Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor is known as the “Facebook for neighborhoods” because it’s an innovative platform where you can create neighborhood hubs.
Each neighborhood hub contains postings of local information, such as things going on in your neighborhood, listings for buying and selling, and other neighborhood notices. You can also share your listings with more potential buyers by using their “nearby neighborhoods” feature.
Nextdoor is one of the best community selling sites because of its safety measures set in place. Every user has to create an account and be verified before they can sell or buy on the platform.
There are no listing or transaction fees. However, it will be your responsibility to arrange the sale and manage the payment.
OfferUp is a marketplace platform that has an app to sell used stuff locally. Their platform has been touted as the more safe, and tech-savvy version of Craigslist.
Every member on the site has a profile with photos, a transaction history, and ratings. While this gives it a social media feel, it can also help you feel more safe about meeting up with a potential buyer.
Using the OfferUp app, you can sell just about anything, whether it’s electronics, clothing, furniture, jewelry, or anything else you no longer use.
To post a listing, simply download the app, create an account, and then click the sell button at the bottom of your screen. Next, add a title, write a description, upload photos, select a category and location, and then choose your price.
Unlike Craigslist, on the downside, you will be required to pay a fee for each item sold. This fee is roughly 13% or $2.00, which ever is higher for the price of the item you’re selling.
Carousell is a mobile only platform that is specifically designed to simplify the person-to-person selling process.
Although Carousell is one of the fairly new online selling apps, it’s a top choice in online community marketplaces.
To list an item on Carousell, simply snap a photo of the item you’re selling with your phone, upload it instantly, and then add listing details, such as a description and the price you’re selling your item for.
There are countless advantages to selling your stuff locally with Carousell:
- It’s 100% free to use: There are no sales commissions or listing fees
- Featured chat: You can chat directly with a potential buyer
- Categories: There are countless categories you can list your item in
- Social media sharing: You can instantly share your listings through Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
- Interest groups: There are many special interest groups you can join, such as neighborhood and school groups to list your items in
While I’m sure we have all heard of eBay, do you know that they have a section to sell items for “local pickup only?”
To use this section, when you are creating a listing, simply select the “no shipping, local pickup only” box from within the shipping options.
Selling your items on eBay has several advantages, such as its broad reach and being well-known. This allows you to get your listing in front of a lot of people at once.
You can also use PayPal to take a credit card payment before before meeting the buyer to sell your item.
However, there is one huge disadvantage to selling on eBay, which are the fees. There are listing, final value, and PayPal fees. These three fees can add up to a decent chunk of your selling price.
The app for eBay is available on both iPhone and Android devices, and their site can be accessed from a desktop, laptop, or tablet.
Decluttr is one of the best websites to sell stuff for people that don’t like the idea of meeting face-to-face with potential buyers.
It’s also a great option if you’re looking for a platform that will take care of the hassle of selling your stuff for you.
Their marketplace is a great option to sell items such as DVDs, cell phones, tablets, laptops, video games and console, and pretty much any other electronic.
To get started, simply scan your item’s barcode using the mobile Decluttr app. After this, you will submit your item on the platform.
At this point, you will receive an instant valuation and offer for your item, which you can either accept or reject. If you accept the offer, you will then ship your item with free postage.
Although Decluttr is convenient, it’s important that your items are in good condition. If the Decluttr team determines your items are in worse condition than you described, you will receive less money.
You will receive payment the day after Decluttr receives your items and you can request to get paid through PayPal, direct deposit, or by paper check in the mail.
Swappa is another great option to sell electronics that connects sellers with people that want to buy them directly.
The whole idea of Swappa is to cut out the middle man and not charge fees so that both the buyer and seller get the best deal.
However, keep in mind that you may have to pay for shipping. You will also have to do a little more work upfront to sell your item because you will be handling the process yourself.
Before selling an item, you will have to verify that you own it. You will also have to communicate with the buyer to negotiate the price and everything else.
Once you agree on the sale, you will receive your payment via PayPal. Although you will pay a commission on a scale that varies between $0 and $250, Swappa provides far more seller security than many other marketplace platforms.
Do you have clothes that you no longer wear and want to sell? If so, Poshmark is a wonderful option.
Their marketplace has a social media feel, but it’s focused on selling fashion items. This includes items such as shoes, clothing, or any other fashion accessories.
Once you make a sale, Poshmark will send you a free prepaid shipping label. This way, you can drop off your package at your local USPS for free. You can also have your package picked up from your home if you prefer.
While you can sell to people in your local area, you won’t get any seller protection that their standard online sales receive. You also run the risk of having your account removed.
There is a $3 fee for all items sold for under $15 on Poshmark, and a 20% fee of the sale price for items sold over $15.
FAQs About Websites to Sell Stuff Locally:
1. How do I Sell Unwanted Items Locally?
- Choose the right platform to use: There are several websites to sell stuff locally that have different pros and cons. For example, some platforms are 100% free, but you will have to do everything yourself. On the other hand, some platforms will charge a fee but will save you time.
- Take quality pictures: Simply put, when you’re taking pictures of the items you’re going to sell, try to use natural lighting, avoid busy backgrounds, and take multiple photos from different angles.
- Be descriptive and honest: Not only should you be descriptive as possible, you should also be honest about the condition of your item. If there is damage, take pictures of it and mention it in the description of your listing.
- Set a reasonable price: If you’re serious about selling your stuff, you need to be realistic about your pricing. While a particular item may have sentimental value to you, it won’t for the potential buyer. If you’re unsure what a reasonable price is, look for similar items and how much they’re selling for.
- Prepare to negotiate: Even if you set a more than reasonable price, most buyers will try to negotiate. Considering this, you should also have in mind the lowest price you’ll accept when creating your listing.
- Be safe: Considering you’re selling your stuff locally, you are likely to meet up with the potential buyer face-to-face. So, make sure you’re always doing it Safely. Check the user’s profile, meet in a public place, don’t go alone, let someone know where you’re going, and only accept cash.
2. How Can I Sell Thing Online Safely?
While selling stuff locally has many benefits, it’s important that you do it safely. Here are the 5 steps you can take to do so.
- Check the user’s profile: Many platforms will verify user IDs to increase security. However, there are some platforms that don’t. In this case, it’s important you check the user’s profile for any red flags before agreeing to the sale.
- Meet in a public place: Whether it’s outside a local store or even a police station, always meet in a public area. With local person-to-person sales becoming so prevalent, many local places have been designated as “safe transaction zones.” You should always meet at one of these places.
- Don’t go alone: As basic safety, you should always take somebody with you to sell something person-to-person. This will definitely help increase your safety and put your mind at ease.
- Let someone know where you’re going: Even though you’re not going alone, you should still let someone know you’re meeting a buyer to sell an item. Tell them where you’re meeting, what time you’re meeting, when you expect to be back, and even the buyer’s name and contact information.
- Use the right payment method: Simply put, you should only accept cash. While no payment method is 100% safe, using cash as the payment method will reduce the chance of you getting scammed or ripped off.
3. What is the cheapest platform to sell online?
Although most websites to buy and sell items will charge you a fee, there are still several options that won’t if you’re looking for websites to sell stuff locally for free.
Some of these options include Craigslist, Nextdoor, and Facebook Marketplace. None of these platforms will charge a fee for the majority of listings as long as you’re willing to handle the transaction and payment yourself.
Final Thoughts on Websites to Sell Stuff Locally
Every option on our list is a great website to sell stuff locally. However, each one has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Considering this, it’s important to choose the right one for your specific needs.
If you’re trying to get the most money out of your items, you should choose a platform that is 100% free to use. If you’re trying to save time, you should choose a platform that will assist you with the selling process.
Keep in mind you should always take quality pictures of your items, be descriptive and honest, set a reasonable price, prepare to negotiate, and always be super safe.