Have you ever wondered if you can get paid to put advertisements on your car? According to the United States Census Bureau, the average one-way commute in the U.S. increased in 2019 to an all-time high of 27.6 minutes.
Considering this, if you don’t live somewhere with good public transportation available, you probably spend a lot of time driving to and from work, going shopping, going out to eat, etc.
If that’s the case, car advertising (wrapping) may be a great way to earn some extra money in passive income to offset the cost of car maintenance and gas.
In this post, we’ll discuss what car wrap advertising is, how much you can make, legitimate companies that will pay you to do it, and much more.
In This Post:
- What car wrap advertising is
- How car advertising wrap works
- Top 5 companies that will pay you to advertise on your car
- How to avoid car advertising scams
- Frequently asked questions about car advertising
- Final thoughts on car advertising
What is Car Wrap Advertising?
Dating back to the 1920s and becoming popularized in the early 1930s by Pepsi, car wrap advertising is an OOH (out-of-home) advertising method that probably makes you think of auto racing vehicles.
However, with so many companies adopting car wrap advertising, you no longer need to be a professional NASCAR driver to participate.
Simply put, car wrap advertising is a form of marketing that involves vehicles of everyday drivers being wrapped with ads, allowing companies to advertise in specific locations around the world.
This is where you and I come into play. If you have a newish model vehicle without damage, drive a lot and have a clean driving record, you can apply to work with a car wrap advertising company and make some extra money in passive income when there are available ad campaigns where you live.
How Does Car Advertising Work?
The process of car wrap advertising is rather simple. Businesses that want to advertise their product or service partner with car wrap advertising companies.
These companies then find drivers that are willing to wrap their vehicle to make money. These potential drivers sign up with the advertising agency and fill out an application.
The application process involves their driving habits, the type of vehicle they own and what condition it’s in, the route of their daily commute and how much they drive, and a few other things, which we will discuss shortly.
If the application is approved, the driver will be notified when an ad campaign starts that fits their profile. The car wrap advertising company will provide the driver will steps to take, how long the campaign will last, how much they will make, etc.
What Are the Requirements to Advertise on My Car?
Generally, to get paid for putting advertisements on your car, you must drive several hours a day on busy streets and have a specific kind of vehicle.
However, there are still several other criteria that these companies require:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You’re required to have car insurance
- You must have a clean driving record
- Your vehicle must be completely undamaged and kept clean
- You must have a GPS or allow the company to install one so they can track how much you drive
- You’re required to reach the minimum mileage per week/month
- You must keep your vehicle wrapped for the entire duration of the contract
Depending on the company you apply for to put ads on your car, you will be notified beforehand if there are any additional requirements you must meet.
What Kind of Ads Will Be Placed on My Car?
Each car wrap advertising company has its own method for placing ads on vehicles. For example, some companies will use vinyl car wrapping, while others will use simple decal stickers.
Whether or not the advertisements will cover your entire car or just a small portion of it, will depend on the size of the ads.
You also won’t have to worry about the ads damaging your vehicle. If it’s wrapped by professionals, the paint should be perfectly safe.
In fact, if the company applies vinyl decals using safe adhesive, it could actually protect your vehicle from sun damage and minor scratches.
Top 5 Companies That Will Pay You to Advertise on Your Car
Now that you know how car wrap advertising works, the requirements, and what kind of ads will be placed on your vehicle, here are the top 5 legitimate car advertising companies that will pay you to do it.
Carvertise is one of the most popular car wrapping companies. It was founded in 2012 and is based in Delaware.
The company has hired thousands of drivers throughout the United States and is partnered with many national brands in larger cities and even small communties.
Some of these cities and their surrounding areas include:
- Los Angeles
- New York City
The application process to apply for Carvertise is rather simple. All you need to do is enter basics such as your name, phone number, and email into a form on their website.
If you’re approved to become a driver, the company will then wrap the vehicle and pay you via direct deposit.
Depending on the size of the wrap, you will earn anywhere between $100 and $300 per month for the duration of the advertising campaign, which usually lasts between 2 and 6 months. When the campaign is over, the company will remove the car wrapping.
Carvertise offers both partial and full wraps. A partial wrap will cover both sides and may even include bumper decals. On the other hand, a full wrap will include decals on the entire body, including windows other than the windshield.
Advantages of Carvertise:
- Potential to earn even while you’re parked: If you park your vehicle in certain areas during specific times of the day, you may be able to earn even more.
- Campaign flexibility: You’re allowed to participate in as many or as few campaigns as you would like. There is no set amount you have to commit to.
- Car requirement: To work with Carvertise, you must drive a 2008-model vehicle or newer.
- Minimum driving requirement: You’re required to drive at least 30 miles per day or Carvertise won’t work with you.
Established in 2015, Wrapify operates nationwide and has wrapped more than 385,000 vehicles and is a wonderful company to start with.
To be eligible to work with Wrapify, you’re required to:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Pass a background check
- Have a 2010-model vehicle or newer
If you meet these criteria, the application process is fairly simple. All you need to do is download the iOS or Android app, and then apply to become a driver.
If you’re approved, you will start receiving offers for campaigns based on your driving habits, which their app will keep track of.
Once you find a campaign you’re interested in, you will register for the campaign, have ads placed on your vehicle, and then start earning money.
Wrapify will give you the choice to choose between four different ad options. These options include a light, partial, “static” ridseshare topper, and a full wrap.
According to Wrapify, each ad campaign will allow you to earn anywhere between $175 to $450 per month of the duration of the campaign.
Advantages of Wrapify:
- Pay schedule: Wrapify will pay you biweekly through direct deposit.
- Duration of campaigns: Most campaigns are only 1 to 3 months long, so you won’t have to commit to Wrapify long-term if you change your mind.
- Strict driving record: You will need to pass a background check to work with Wrapify. If you have had more than two accidents in the last 36 months your application will rejected.
- Car requirement: You must have a vehicle model newer than 2010 and your vehicle cannot have any major body damage to be approved with Wrapify.
- Termination fee: If you break a campaign contract before it ends by removing the advertisement wrap, you will be required to pay an early termination fee.
Founded in 2013, StickerRide is a European based company but now operates in the United States as well. They currently have over 40,000 vehicles wrapped in the U.S.
Simply put, StickerRide connects drivers with car advertising options that capture the attention of companies target audiences.
To work with StickerRide, simply download their app on your Android or Apple device.
Once you have done so, you will register your vehicle, choose an active car wrap advertising campaign, visit one of StickerRide’s locations, and then have them wash your vehicle and apply their sticker ads.
As soon as the ads are applied, you can start driving as you normally would to earn money. Keep in mind that you will need to turn on the app every time you drive, so StickerRide can track your miles driven and compensate you accordingly.
Every mile you drive will be multiplied by your tariff and will equal one StickerRide point. Your tariff will be determined by multiple factors, such as location, time of day, type of vehicle, and the sticker ads displayed.
Considering this, your payments will vary greatly based on how much you drive, where you drive, when you drive, and the vehicle you own.
Advantages of StickerRide:
- Ad selection: If you work with StickerRide, you will be allowed to look through an assortment of ad campaigns and choose one that fits your personality and interests.
- Tasks to earn additional money: With StickerRide, you will have the option to participate in “quests” and “flashmobs” which will involve performing certain tasks such as taking a photo of your vehicle in a specific location.
- The StickerRide app: If you fail to start the StickerRide app on your phone prior to driving, you will not earn money for your time spent driving.
- Varying car requirements: Every ad campaign will have its own set of vehicle requirements and you won’t know what they are until you apply.
ReferralCars is a car wrap advertising company that matches drivers with two different types of campaigns – Commission, and non-commission based. This means that drivers can earn more depending on which campaign they choose.
The process to work with ReferralCars starts with entering your ZIP code and then viewing campaigns that are specific to the area you live. You will then move onto an online application process that requires information about the model of your car, your insurance, how many miles you drive per year, etc.
If you’re approved, an account manager will contact you to provide details about the campaign. If you accept to join the campaign, you will pay a shipping fee to receive the decal needed for the car wrapping.
Once the ads are applied to your vehicle, you will need to go to the ReferralCars website to active the decal with the keyword you have been provided and send a picture of your vehicle for proof. Activation will allow them to track sales back to you.
Advantages of ReferralCars:
- Size of ads: With the majority of decals being relatively small, you won’t have to worry about having large, obnoxious ads on your vehicle.
- Guaranteed earnings: According to ReferralCars, you will earn money within 90 days of starting an ad campaign. If you don’t, they guarantee a $100 gift card.
- Shipping fee: To receive the decal ads for your vehicle from ReferralCars, you will be require to pay the shipping fee.
- Applying the decal: As a partner with ReferralCars, you will have to apply the decal yourself once it arrives at your house.
5. Free Car Media
Simply put, Free Car Media partners with marketers and then pays everyday drivers to place advertisements on their entire vehicle or just the rear windows.
Similar to other car wrap advertising companies, to work with Free Car Media, you will need to fill out an online application. If you’re approved, the company will contact you via email to explain everything regarding the campaign.
Once you accept the campaign offer, you will then decide if you want to place an ad covering the entire body of your vehicle or just the rear windows. If you decide to place the ad on your rear windows, Free Car Media will send you the ad with instructions on how to apply it.
If you decide to place an ad on your entire vehicle, the company will provide you with information about where you can go to get the ad applied professionally. Once the ad is placed, you will start earning money whenever you drive.
People that work with Free Car Media, can expect to earn anywhere between $50 to $400 per month depending on the size of the ad.
Advantages of Free Car Media:
- Ad placement options: Free Car Media will allow you to decide where to apply the ad to your vehicle. For example, you have the option to apply it to your rear window in a discreet way rather than around your entire vehicle.
- Campaign selection: You will have the option to opt out of any ad campaign you’re not interested in and still qualify for future campaigns.
- Applying the ad: Similar to ReferralCars, once you receive the ad from Free Car Media, you will be required to apply it to your vehicle yourself. However, the ad will be sent with directions for you to follow.
- Campaign length: If you participate in a Free Car Media ad campaign, you will be required to have the ads on your vehicle for anywhere around 6 to 24 months.
How to Avoid Car Advertising Scams
Just like most industries, there are plenty of car wrapping scammers. Considering this, if you’re interested in getting paid to advertise on your car, it’s important you don’t let your guard down.
Both the federal trade commission and the Better Business Bureau stress the importance of people being aware of car wrap scams.
Here are several ways you can vet a car wrap advertising opportunity to determine if it’s legitimate:
- If you have to pay a fee, it’s definitely a scam
- If there isn’t an application process, it’s most likely a scam
- It’s highly like a scam if a company contacts you out of nowhere.
- If they offer to pay you hundreds of dollars a week, it’s definitely a scam
- If you’re still unsure about a company, read reviews and check the Better Business Bureau website
Car Advertising FAQs
Here are answers to a few of the most frequently asked questions about car advertising:
Is Advertising on Your Car Illegal?
In the United States, there is not a single state that has passed a law banning car wrap advertising. However, some jurisdictions do have rules set in place that could affect it.
For example, some municipalities may consider a car wrapped with advertisements a commercial vehicle. In this case, you would be required to have commercial insurance.
Another thing to keep in mind, is that some neighborhood HOA policies don’t allow advertisements within their community. If this is the case, you will be limited in where you can park.
Can I Sell Advertising on My Car?
Yes, you really can sell advertising on your car. There are a few legitimate companies who will pay you to wrap your vehicle with advertisements and drive around like you normally would.
However, with so many scammers plaguing this industry, always make sure the company you’re dealing with is legitimate and trustworthy before committing.
Who Will Pay Me to Advertise on My Car?
Carvertise, Wrapify, StickerRide, ReferralCars, Free Car Media, and even Uber are among the top few legitimate companies that will pay you to wrap your vehicle with ads.
While there are several other companies who claim they will pay you to wrap your vehicle, the majority of them are scams. As previously mentioned, always vet them before committing.
How Much Can You Get Paid to Advertise on Your Car?
How much you can get paid to advertise on your car will depend on various factors, such as the type of vehicle you drive, how much you drive on a daily basis, the routes you take while driving, and how much of your car the ads cover.
However, legitimate car wrap advertising companies typically pay anywhere between $175 to $500 per month, which is quite a bit of passive income for driving like you normally would.
Final Thoughts on Car Advertising
If you’re looking for ways to earn passive income, you may want to consider getting paid to wrap your car with advertisments.
In fact, car wrapping may just be one of the easiest ways to make some extra money. At the end of the day, you’re getting paid to drive just like you normally would!
However, you obviously won’t be able to make a full-time living from it, but you can definitely make an extra several hundred dollars a month, which is more money in your pocket.
If car wrap advertising is something you’re interested in, simply contact a few of the companies mentioned above and see what your options are.